Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Day 32 – Thursday January 6th 2011 (Napoli - Sicily, Italy)

I knew I had to leave today so I showered and got my bag on and took off in the morning. I still wanted to see a few things in the old city and so I saw some more of the older buildings and the Duomo. When I went through the main street there was a concert going on with these crazy gypsy people so I listened to them a while. As I was listening these to girls came up to me and started chatting me up. I was immediately kinda suspicious of them but they seemed drunk and harmless. We chatted a while and they danced with me and then I noticed one of them touched my butt and then went over to the other and whispered to her and then told me that they had to go. I was pretty sure she had just checked for my wallet and couldn’t find one and so they had no reason to stay. I was kinda pissed so I called her out on it. I said to her “ Hey sorry I didn’t have any money for you, I felt you feel me up for my wallet.” She got all defensive and her friend (the Pretty one) tried to convince me that it was outrageous, just then her two friends came over and I met them too. We ended up all talking a while and in the end I was pretty sure that they weren’t trying to rob me and I was just being paranoid. We all kissed each other goodbye and although they invited me home with them I had to catch the ferry to Sicily. The ferry was actually pretty nice but I had a hard time figuring out how to get on the bloody thing. There were only semis driving onto it and there were no signs or any direction at all on how to get on. I just walked around until I found an opening and then a guy checked my ticket as I walked on. There are no assigned seats on these ferries they just have these big lounges and people find a little area and make it their home for the next 10 hours. They even lay out blankets for beds and have little picnics in the middle of the floor and everything. I was pretty worried about leaving my bag anywhere but after a while I got to know everyone around me and I locked it to a table so I could walk around. It was pretty surreal watching the water swoosh under the massive boat in the black of night. I felt like I was on Titanic. I went back in to finish editing photos and then I met Alessandro. He walked up to me out of the blue and asked if I was American. They he said he had a question. He said “ok… In the America, the tittie bar.. how much it costs?” I was like, “huh?” Then he’s talking to me about American college girls being sluts and all kindsa crude generalizations. I thought, wow, I got a live one here and basically we talked for the next FIVE hours… He just wouldn’t leave me alone. It was ok though we became friends and he even bought me water and we’re facebook friends now. I gave him advice with his girl troubles and he taught me all about the Italian shipping industry. Needless to say, I didn’t get much sleep on the ferry and so I was glad to be in Sicily at about 8 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment