Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Day 33 – Friday January 7th 2011 (Palermo, Sicily)

I was going on zero sleep and in a completely new culture. I also soon found out that I had a map for the wrong city and no idea where a Hostel was in Palermo. No one speaks English in Palermo, No one sells maps, No one can help. It was probably only so frustrating because I was just so tired. I eventually bought a map that was way way too expensive and hopped a bus without paying to the center of town. I found an tourism point after asking about 7 people and then I was set. I was able to get directions to a hostel and I even met a girl named floe who was singing on the street with her crazy dreads. She was so cool I just had to sit with her for a while, she invited me to hang out later but I was just so tired that I kinda blew her off. My hostel was down this deserted street that was full of garage doors and after I bought my room I went upstairs and just crashed. I woke up at about 11pm and chatted with my roommate a while. Then I got some food and talked to internet friends. At about 1am I was hearing this loud music and so I went to investigate. I found out that all those garage doors were clubs and the hostel was smack in the middle of the clubbing section of town. I was just kinda standing there thinking about getting my camera when someone miraculously spoke English to me! I was shocked. It was these two Italian girls and their friends, it was kinda hard to hear what they were saying because it was so loud but we basically got introductions out of the way and then we went out dancing. It was way fun and I was surprised at how well everyone was dressed and I loved the songs where everyone yelled in Italian together, it was great and afterward we all went up to the roof of one of the bars to drink and smoke and talk. I didn’t drink or smoke or do much talking to be honest and while I was sitting there relishing the feeling of acceptance and being one of the cool kids I realized that these people weren’t really that cool. They were really kind and they had short hair and dressed well but that was about it. They didn’t have good taste in anything else and they only talked about stuff I wasn’t interested in. Anyway I was tired again somehow so I took a nap until daytime (even though it was about 5 or 6 when I came home).

No comments:

Post a Comment