Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Day 34 – Saturday January 8th 2011 (Tunis, Tunisia)

The next morning I woke up and met Nick and Elijah (yeah another Elijah how weird is that?) they were very cool. Nick had just been to Tunisia and recommended it as well as giving me the name of a couch surfer he knew of named Connie Lee. Elijah had just gotten back from India and he proceeded to make me really wanna go there. I think if I end up doing the peace core it might be narrowed down to Africa or India. So I booked my tickets to Tunisia and then I hopped the ferry. The ferry was 10 hours long… The ferry sucked. I watched Home Alone 3… Home Alone 3 sucked. The only thing that didn’t suck was watching a bunch of old Tunisian men laugh their asses off at Home Alone 3. When I finally hit earth I escaped the ferry and spent about a billion hours walking through the endless maze that is Tunisian security. I was almost refused at the gate because they couldn’t read my smudged Palermo passport stamp and then again when I didn’t fill out some paperwork that I never received. Soon though I was through the gantlet and was back to being hassled by cab drivers. I changed my money into Dinari and then caught a cab, explaining that I have little to no money by telling him I was from Poland and I’ve been backpacking for ages and ages. I paid 7 Dinari to take me to the Medina which was apparently still too much. He wanted to charge me more but I just told him I didn’t have it. Let me tell you, the Medina in Tunis at night is pretty dang creepy. I’ve never seen so many cats and tiny streets ever! I was really really lucky that I had good directions and a hand drawn map that I made earlier. I found the Hostel pretty easily but the owner was hecka creepy looking and he walked me through his pitch black house to a extremely cold room with no lights and so I just had to fumble around and eventually just fall into bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment