Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Day 40 – Friday January 14th 2011 (Palermo, Italy)

I arrived in Palermo at about 730 am and I was so exhausted that I just walked straight to the Hostel and dropped my bags off. I was about ready to take a nap but I wanted to check my emails first because I hadn’t been able to for about a week. The Tunisian government and the lack of anywhere to get internet made it impossible to communicate with my family.
It was a good thing I checked my email too because I soon realized that my parents thought I was dead! They had been trying to contact me for ages because they somehow found out about the riots in Tunisia. They had sent my picture out to all the Hostels in Tunisia, Italy and Greece and they had been talking with the US embassy, the ferry service and the police. I was worried because I read in an email that my Dad was thinking about flying to Tunisia to look for me. So I called him right away even though it was 3 am his time. He picked up and he explained that they had found out that I had checked out of the Hostel on the 9th and then every communication from me stopped. No emails, to photo posts, to replies to texts or phone calls, no usage of my credit cards or anything and so they thought I had been kidnapped or killed. Nope. I was fine; I had just been using couch surfing I told them. They had actually found that out about a day earlier and they were significantly less worried. After I talked to my parents I took a nap and then I went out for food. I met these cool musicians who invited me to play some music on the street with them so I did that for a while and then we listened to this polish guy play blues guitar while we ate kababs together. My new friends, Frenccenzo and Anna were from the US and Spain and so I loved them right away. They also gave me great travel tips and a list of active couch surfers in the places I was going. After a long while talking I went up to bed and slept the night away.

No comments:

Post a Comment